Get Rid of Your Junk: 5 Things to Declutter Now
A great way to practice self love (practical self-care) is by getting rid of the junk in your life. Yeah, that's right, the junk! What better way to say I love you to yourself than by getting rid of the things that bring you down, don't matter to you anymore, or that sabotage you? Decluttering can help you feel free and it's something that you should do often. Check out this post about the Kon Mari decluttering method later, but for now, use the tips below to get started. If you need some help to get started here are 5 areas of your home that you can declutter now.
Want more self-care | self-love tips? Check out this post.
1. Your bathroom: Get rid of expired make up and bath products. Throw away (or give away) any products that you don't use.
- Nailpolish- after 1 year
- Mascara- 3 months
- Sunscreen- 3 years (or expiration date)
- Eyeshadow- 18 months (or if you haven't worn it in 6 months)
- Any creams that you dip your fingers in- 6 months
2. Your closet: Get rid of any clothes that are ripped, stained, or faded. Anything that you haven't worn in a year consider getting rid of. If it doesn't fit you don't keep it. Dress for the body you have now. Find a local charity to donate anything that is still wearable.
3. Your kitchen: Check the expiration dates of all your condiments. Often times we don't think to check the dates of ketchup or other things that we use less frequently. Organize your spices and seasonings. Consider investing in pretty, airtight jars to clear up even more clutter while making your space look nice (even if it's just in the cabinet).
4. Your office: If you have tons of pens and pencils just keep the ones that write nicely. File any loose papers. Organize your desktop and other folders on your computer. Trash any thing you don't use or need anymore.
5. Your bedroom: Your bedroom should be a calm and relaxing place without any clutter. Make your bed; if you keep your hamper in your bedroom make sure you use it. Keep items in your bedroom to a bare minimum. Perhaps candles, a couple of books, and a chair- no electronics.
A decluttered environment will help facilitate a decluttered life. I'm moving from Madrid next week so I have prime decluttering time since I only have 3 suitcases! What are you going to work on today? Let me know in the comments!